[Spacewalk-list] SpaceWalk High Availability

Nelson Marques nmo.marques at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 15:32:27 UTC 2014

Hi Justin,

Thanks for replying; Regarding Backups I'm doing backups with bacula on
this items:

 * PostgreSQL DB (filesystem);
 * /etc
 * /var/lib/tomcat6 and /usr/share/tomcat6 (redundant)

The DB backup is made like this:

 * (pre-backup) psql -c "SELECT pg_start_backup('bacula-backup-${DATE}',
true);"
 * backup stuff (/var/lib/pgsql/data)
 * (post) psql -c "SELECT pg_stop_backup();"
 * (post) VACUUM ALL
 * (post) reindex --all

So I have that covered also; The thing is, HA was required so that we don't
have complains from the devs having their orchestration stuff broken
(ansible) due to spacewalk unavailability. Recovering backups takes it's
time.

Aditionally I also have backups done on HP DataProtector from the whole VM.
Either way, I have to go HA despite of the backup level. I was just trying
to figure what people are running and what kind of setup would apply,
eventually balancing stuff, hot standby or any master/slave configuration.
How it can be split appart (ex: DB being replicated, shared NFS mount for
package repo's and frontends).

NM