[Spacewalk-list] SpaceWalk High Availability

Justin Edmands shockwavecs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 16:08:40 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Nelson Marques <nmo.marques at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> Thanks for replying; Regarding Backups I'm doing backups with bacula on
> this items:
>
>  * PostgreSQL DB (filesystem);
>  * /etc
>  * /var/lib/tomcat6 and /usr/share/tomcat6 (redundant)
>
> The DB backup is made like this:
>
>  * (pre-backup) psql -c "SELECT pg_start_backup('bacula-backup-${DATE}',
> true);"
>  * backup stuff (/var/lib/pgsql/data)
>  * (post) psql -c "SELECT pg_stop_backup();"
>  * (post) VACUUM ALL
>  * (post) reindex --all
>
> So I have that covered also; The thing is, HA was required so that we
> don't have complains from the devs having their orchestration stuff broken
> (ansible) due to spacewalk unavailability. Recovering backups takes it's
> time.
>
> Aditionally I also have backups done on HP DataProtector from the whole
> VM. Either way, I have to go HA despite of the backup level. I was just
> trying to figure what people are running and what kind of setup would
> apply, eventually balancing stuff, hot standby or any master/slave
> configuration. How it can be split appart (ex: DB being replicated, shared
> NFS mount for package repo's and frontends).
>
> NM

>> > On Feb 28, 2014, at 7:08 AM, Nelson Marques <nmo.marques at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Currently at work we use spacewalk to manage a small part of our
>> infra-structure (around 100 machines running centos 6 from 3 environments).
>> Recently there was a problem with our SAN storage ending up with the
>> filesystem on the spacewalk machine having a few bad sectors (postgresql db
>> got corrupt as consequence).
>> >
>> > Our development team has spacewalk integrated with ansible for
>> orchestration; If for some reason (as above) spacewalk is unavailable
>> ansible seems to break also there is no way to install software on machines.
>> >
>> > I'm currently looking for documentation or some 'enlightenment' on the
>> best procedures to set spacewalk for high availability or a recommended
>> architecture so that we have redundancy for it. Anyone can point up some
>> docs or share experiences?
>> >

>> > NM
>>
>> I also have a small environment of about 100 machines and just do nightly
>> Postgres backups. The entire machine, a VM, is backed up to virtual tape.
>> Given it being a small setup, HA would be far too involved. No database
>> backups I'm assuming?

Oh nice, we use bacula as well. Great to hear you have a solid backup
solution. I have no further content to add. I remember looking into the
same kind of setup a while back and ultimately wound up on satellite
documents. An example would be this one:
https://gb.redhat.com/f/pdf/rhn/Satellite-HA.pdf

I would attempt to build the RHCS on two VMs and then import the existing
database. LEt us know how it goes.