[Spacewalk-list] Idea to create channels

Amitakhya Phukan aphukan at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 10 20:24:38 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have a mix of RHEL 5 and 6 systems in the environment. I have recently
deployed Spacewalk to manage the patching of this environment. I have
created 2 channels; one for each version of RHEL we have. The channels are
being populated every Sunday with the latest RPM available in RHN (this is
done through a cron job which downloads the RPMs and then another cron job
uploads via rhnpush).

We will be patching the systems every quarter and the first day of the
quarter will be the baseline. I now want to design a solution in which the
systems can have a uniform patch level for a quarter. How do I do this ?

Is this done by cloning the update channel ? If I clone it on 1st August
(and want to use 1st Aug channel as the baseline channel), will the clone
channel also get updated every Sunday ?

Any solution other than cloning the channel ?

--
Best regards,
Amitakhya Phukan