[Spacewalk-list] Automatically Registering VM Clones as SPacewalk Clients

Justin Edmands shockwavecs at gmail.com
Thu May 1 20:30:21 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Glennie, Jonathan - 0443 - MITLL <
jrglenni at ll.mit.edu> wrote:

> Hello All-
>

> My apologies if this has been covered somewhere before, but I’m trying to
> determine the best method of automating spacewalk client registration in a
> virtual environment and surprisingly enough I haven’t found much.  Right
> now, we are using VMware CentOS 6 templates as base images for client
> machines.  We have a handful of scripts set up to automate other tasks such
> as hostname/IP changes, but I’m not sure the best way to handle spacewalk
> registration.  Has anyone set this up before that may have some experiences
> to share?
>

> I don’t think we want to go down the road of using kickstart as most of
> the configuration we need is already done on the template, unless there is
> a “light” way of using it to run simple post install scripts?  And I’m
> pretty sure we can’t register the template to spacewalk otherwise we would
> have to deal with duplicate systems showing up in the inventory, or at
> least I think we would.  I’m leaning towards using a template with the
> necessary packages installed but not registered to spacewalk, with a script
> in rc.local which will check to see if the machine is registered to
> spacewalk (not sure how yet) and then run the rhnreg command if not.
> Thoughts anyone?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Jon

Hey Jon,
Nothing will be automated if going the vmware route. The only automated way
would be to use redhats virtualization software, KVM. I built a bash
program that automates the process of installation and registration. It has
the ability to register to various channels by answering questions, etc.

Your best bet would be to just generate a simple startup script that
prompts you for input. The possibilities are endless for this kind of
method. You will build the last part of the script to remove itself from
startup only if it successfully registers.

--Justin