[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk for both RHEL 6.x and OUL 6.x - Possible?

Avi Miller avi.miller at oracle.com
Wed Sep 3 20:39:26 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 4 Sep 2014, at 2:11 am, Glen Collins <glenc2004 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I know Spacewalk is now capable of maintaining OUL but trying to get the rpm's from both vendors is confusing. I'm honestly not sure what to look for now as I have tried too many google searches and too many permutations of RHEL and OUL. If someone can just give a link to into it would be appreciated.

I'm assuming you mean OL or Oracle Linux here? If so, combining both RHEL and OL into a single Spacewalk instance is easy, but it'll prevent you from getting support from one of the vendors, I suspect. For example, if you have an existing Spacewalk 2.2 instance installed from the Spacewalk repos, it supports updating from both the Oracle Unbreakable Linux Network as well as the public-yum.oracle.com repositories. However, you can't get support from Oracle for it.

Likewise, if you were to use Spacewalk 2.0 provided by Oracle, you'd get support from Oracle for the server and any Oracle Linux clients you have connected to it, but we wouldn't support RHEL clients.

Therefore, you just need to pick which scenario you prefer.

Though, I didn't think you could connect Spacewalk directly to RHN for updates. Doesn't that require a Satellite subscription? If so, you would be running Satellite, not Spacewalk. And you'd get support from Red Hat for the Satellite deployment. You can still sync the Oracle Linux public-yum.oracle.com repos into Satellite, but there is no ULN integration. I'd be happy to send you the ULN integration script, but I'm not sure what that would do for your support with Red Hat. :)

Cheers,
Avi

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Avi Miller | Product Management Director | +61 (3) 8616 3496