[Spacewalk-list] OSAD through proxy = SYN flood

Coffman, Anthony J Tony.Coffman at snapon.com
Wed Sep 17 14:35:20 UTC 2014

I think OSAD through my proxies stopped working when I updated to Spacewalk 2.2

Here are the symptoms I've seen so far.

All of the proxy connected systems are doing this at osad startup.

[root at host~]# service osad restart
Shutting down osad:                                        [  OK  ]
Starting osad: Error connecting to jabber server: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer
2014-09-17 10:18:07 jabber_lib.main: Unable to connect to jabber servers, sleeping 80 seconds
                                                           [  OK  ]
[root at host ~]#

Each of my Spacewalk proxies is reporting SYN flooding on the jabber port.

Sep 17 10:15:00 swproxy kernel: possible SYN flooding on port 5222. Sending cookies.

I've bounced everything but haven't made any other changes yet.

OSAD is working normally for clients connected to the Spacewalk master.

I've ruled out name resolution (forward and reverse) and firewalls.

Is there a limit to the number of clients a proxy jabberd can handle? I only have a few hundred connected on these proxies.

osad-5.11.43-1.el6.noarch on the clients and the master and proxy servers are patched up to date as of two days ago.

Any suggestions on next steps for troubleshooting.  The last time this came up on the list it sounded like a jabber database nuke was the suggestion but I've seen conflicting advice about doing that.

Regards,
--Tony