[Spacewalk-list] Trying not to reinvent the wheel.....

Glen Collins glenc2004 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 17 15:14:30 UTC 2014

Hello all. I have a couple of questions to make sure I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel.

Here are my questions I don't know how to find the answer too....

1) Is there a way to download the yum updates so I can connect a newly installed rhel/centos/oracle linux system to spacewalk using the existing channels? So I'm wondering if I can setup a <filename>.repo in /etc/yum.repos.d/, point it to spacewalk channel so I can download the yum updates to work with Spacewalk. I know for sure for Oracle I need to update the yum commands and other supported commands for support in Spacewalk. I just don't want to have to create a separate yum repo if I already have a channel dedicated to the spacewalk client. My inside clients do not have direct internet access to the yum repos in the outside world.

2) Is there an addon or something to spacewalk that would allow me to see the state of the channel sync? If a sync took place, any errors or whatever inside the web GUI. I know the files are available on the system, but I'm just wondering if there is a web hack that would show the raw logs for further review if needed. My system will be maintained by others which may not necessarily have command line access.

Thanks all. I appreciate all the help so far.

Regards,

Glen Collins