[Spacewalk-list] configure kickstart in spacewalk

YANG LI yangli at clemson.edu
Wed Apr 22 20:57:34 UTC 2015

I am a little confused with how kickstart is configured and worked in spacewalk. the linux distribution I am trying to used to kickstart is oracle linux 6.6

here is my steps:

1. setup distribution tree

mount -o loop /var/spacewalk/iso-image/OracleEnterpriseLinux6.6x86_64.iso  /var/spacewalk/dstro-truees/ol6.6-x86_64

2. create a distribution in spacwalk web UI

login to spacewalk web UI, click Systems, Kickstart, then Distributions,  create new distribution

Distribution Label: oraclelinux6-x86_64
Tree Path: /var/spacewalk/distro-trees/ol6.6-x86_64
Base Channel: Oracle Linux 6 (X86_64)
Installer Generation: RedHat Enterprise Linux 6

click on Create Kickstart Distribution. after It created, I can see it has check mark in Valid?* field. when I click on the newly created distribution oraclelinux6-x86_64, I can see it has another tab call Variables. there are two variables defined in there:

media_path=/ks/dist/oraclelinux6-x86_64
org=2

my confusion:

should I change media_path? I later see it get used in my kickstart profile I created use this distribution tree.

# Kickstart config file generated by Spacewalk Config Management
# Profile Label : oraclelinux66-x86_64-ks
# Date Created  : Wed Apr 22 08:01:17 EDT 2015

install
text
network --bootproto dhcp
url --url http://sbrh1.clemson.edu/ks/dist/oraclelinux6-x86_64

when I try to browse this url in the browser, I do not see anything. in fact there is no such directory exist in apache DocumentRoot. it only has /var/www/html/ks/dis/org/2 and the directory is empty. manually copy os installation cd content there?

my understanding is url --url http://sbrh1.clemson.edu/ks/dist/oraclelinux6-x86_64 should contain entire os installation cd contents right?

I also see this in kickstart profile:

wget "http://sbrh1.clemson.edu/cblr/svc/op/trig/mode/pre/profile/oraclelinux66-x86_64-ks:2:ClemsonUniversityCCITISO" -O /dev/null

I do not see that directory in DocumentRoot of apache either.

I am new to kickstart. my understanding is those files should be available through http so kickstart can work. am I missing something?

here is how I created kickstart profile:

Label:
Base Channel: Oracle Linux 6 (x86_64)
Kickstartable Tree: oraclelinux6-x86_64
Always use the newest Tree for this base channel. "Newest" is determined by the date it was last modified. (checked)

click Next

Default Download: /ks/dist/org/2/oraclelinux6-x86_64
Custom Download Location:

again this directory /ks/dist/org/2/oraclelinux6-x86_64 appears again. should I copy cd contents to /var/www/html//ks/dist/org/2/oraclelinux6-x86_64 and make it available to through http?

Thanks,
Yang