[Spacewalk-list] API requests overloading Tomcat???

Silvio Moioli smoioli at suse.com
Thu Aug 27 06:24:25 UTC 2015

On 26/08/2015 18:52, Matthew Madey wrote:
> [Tue Aug 25 04:21:18 2015] [error] (70007)The timeout specified has expired: ajp_ilink_receive() can't receive header

In my experience this means that the maximum number of Tomcat worker threads (maxThreads parameter on Tomcat 6, maxConnections parameter on Tomcat 7 and above) is lower than the maximum number of Apache httpd server processes (MaxClients).

This leads to a situation in which the AJP connector tries to open one more connection but fails, because Tomcat cannot provide it.

In our customer's case, it helped to set both parameters to the same value - 100 being a good ballpark figure to start playing around. It's unlikely your server can manage more than 100 XMLRPC calls at the same time anyway.

You can find detailed information here (this is for SUSE Manager but it equally applies to Spacewalk):

https://wiki.microfocus.com/index.php/SUSE_Manager/optimizing-apache-and-tomcat

Other articles explaining the same issue are here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16394682/tomcat-stops-responding-to-apache
http://javaworkbench.blogspot.co.at/2013/09/apache-web-server-tomcat-ajp.html

Hope this helps, feedback welcome.

Silvio Moioli