[Spacewalk-list] how to use 'file preservation'?

Stephen Herr sherr at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 15:01:45 UTC 2015

File preservation will only work with re-provisioning (through
Spacewalk, so not PXE booting), and it's expected that there's no change
to the kickstart file.

It should work with what you've tried though.

File preservation works by saving the files listed to a particular place
on the filesystem (/tmp/ks-tree-copy) when rhn_check picks up the
reprovision action, and then the kickstart file always contains a
section to copy files in that dir (if any) back onto the filesystem
after the kickstart. So the kickstart file will not change because it
always contains that section.

Try scheduling another reprovision with that profile, running "rhn_check
-vvv" by hand to pick up the action so you can see the verbose output on
the console, and then 'shutdown -c' to cancel the three minute reboot
timer so you can poke around. Between the console output and looking at
/tmp/ks-tree-copy maybe that will give you a hint about what's wrong.

-Stephen