[Spacewalk-list] asknetwork gets ignored

Philipp Wehling philipp.wehling at megatel.de
Fri Nov 6 11:17:28 UTC 2015

Hello,

Im experimenting with kickstarting Linux machines, in my case ScientificLinux7.

We dont use DHCP for our servernetwork, so I created an iso with

# cobbler sync
# cobbler buildiso

My kickstart profile looks pretty normal, nothing special. Because there is no dhcp in the network, I tried to ask me for network configuration with these options:

- "asknetwork" in Kernel Options
- "network: --device=ens160 --bootproto=query" in Advanced Settings

But when I mount the iso and start installation, journalctl looks like this:

kernel: vmxnet3 0000:03:00.0 ens160: NIC Link is Up 10000 Mbps
dracut-initqueue: Starting dhcp for interface ens160
dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on ens160 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.
dracut-initqueue: dhcp failed
dracut-initqueue: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
dracut-initqueue: Warning: Could not boot
dracut-initqueue: Warning: /dev/root does not exist

In my opinion, this doesnt have to happen.

Please correct me if Im wrong.

kind regards,
Philipp