[Spacewalk-list] asknetwork gets ignored

Jan Dobes jdobes at redhat.com
Fri Nov 6 17:01:39 UTC 2015

On 6.11.2015 12:17 Philipp Wehling wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Im experimenting with kickstarting Linux machines, in my case
> ScientificLinux7.
>
> We dont use DHCP for our servernetwork, so I created an iso with
>

> # cobbler sync
> # cobbler buildiso
>
> My kickstart profile looks pretty normal, nothing special. Because there
> is no dhcp in the network, I tried to ask me for network configuration
> with these options:
>
>   - "asknetwork" in Kernel Options
>   - "network: --device=ens160 --bootproto=query" in Advanced Settings
>
> But when I mount the iso and start installation, journalctl looks like this:
>

> kernel: vmxnet3 0000:03:00.0 ens160: NIC Link is Up 10000 Mbps
> dracut-initqueue: Starting dhcp for interface ens160
> dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on ens160 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.
> dracut-initqueue: dhcp failed
> dracut-initqueue: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
> dracut-initqueue: Warning: Could not boot
> dracut-initqueue: Warning: /dev/root does not exist
>

> In my opinion, this doesnt have to happen.
>
> Please correct me if Im wrong.
>

> kind regards,
> Philipp

Hello,

I think it's expected.

 From Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 installation guide: [1]

20.1.1. Deprecated and Removed Boot Options

askmethod, asknetwork

"The installation program's initramfs is now completely non-interactive,
which means that these options are not available anymore. Instead, use
the inst.repo= to specify the installation method and ip= to configure
network settings."

[1]
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Installation_Guide/chap-anaconda-boot-options.html

Jan Dobes