[Spacewalk-list] Preserving system registration date

Kalchik, Jeffery JDKalchik at landolakes.com
Fri Oct 16 17:35:04 UTC 2015

I'm getting ready to bury a Spacewalk 2.2 server, and build a new Spacewalk 2.4 server in its place.  This will be a ground up rebuild, all the way down to the operating system level.  New channels (cleaning up some missteps I've taken over the last several years.)  Revisiting all of the kickstart stuff.  New distros.  The whole nine yards.

Channels & distributions aren't an issue.  Neither is errata.  I actually want to recreate all of that from scratch.

I'm trying to avoid simply importing a database backup into the new server & running a schema upgrade against it.  That'll bring in a lot of bad baggage that I don't want, and is a big reason for the wholesale rebuild.

The problem comes in with all of the clients that will need to be registered into the new server.  I can update the local up2date & rhn configurations on the clients, and hand out the new server certs, I don't expect a problem with simply registering the servers again using activation keys (as well as a couple of behind the scenes Perl Scripts going through the XML RPC interface.)  For the most part, the registration & rhn_check processes should populate with the proper values.

I'd really like to preserve the system registration date from the old Spacewalk server.  I see how to extract this through the XML RPC API, unless I'm blind (which is entirely possible,) is it possible to set that value without going directly into the backend database?  It's not the end of the world if I can't save & restore the value, but we have referenced the registration date as an indication of system lifespan.  I'm not necessarily averse to direct database activity if that's the only option but that seems a little too brute force.

Jeff Kalchik
Systems Engineering
Land O'Lakes

This message may contain confidential material from Land O'Lakes, Inc. (or its subsidiary) for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may not be reviewed, disclosed, copied, distributed or used by anyone other than the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.