[Spacewalk-list] Re. RHNSD interval, splay time?

Marcin Figura mfigura at mintel.com
Thu Feb 25 19:55:47 UTC 2016

Robert,

    I did not think starting time of the daemon can count as start point
 and wonder if its actually a true . In our case  rhnsd daemon starts when
VM starts so they start randomly . But if 100 VMs was going to start around
the same time then that might count as those rhnsd daemons will contact
spacewalk server around the same time ..

    Good point about OSAD and I have noticed our proxies being hammered by
OSAD triggering tasks on 200 hindered clients and its the reason we are not
going to use OSAD. Also, for our purposes we dont really need tasks for be
executed quickly.

Robert wrote:

You assume, that every server started rhnsd at the same time... Or on the
same minute within an hour. As long as you don't start or restart rhnsd via
cron, this shouldn't happen.

If you're using osad, and schedule a task for all servers to start "as soon
as possible", you'll might get in trouble.

Regards
Robert

Hello,

   I am trying to understand better how rhnsd works and since I have plans
to connect about thousand clients. With current 200 clients all have
interval set to 60 minutes which is recommended minimal pooling time.

  So when I schedule a task not all clients contact spacewalk server at the
same time which is good but that makes me believe there must be a splay
time set for each client. If there was no splay time, all clients will
connect at every full hour , for example 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 ...

   Any assistance with few questions below very appreciated:

   - How its being determined when client should check with spacewalk
   server? Is it the time since first registration of the client with the
   server and then every 60 minutes?
   - What if the interval is set to 30 minutes? Why its not recommended?

--

*Marcin Figura*

*System Administrator*

*Direct: 312.450.6008*

*Office: 312.932.0400*

*Connect with us : [image: LinkedIn]
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/9867?trk=tyah> [image: Twitter]
<http://www.twitter.com/mintelnews> [image: Youtube]
<http://www.youtube.com/user/minteltv> [image: Mintel Blog]
<http://www.mintel.com/blog>*
[image: Mintel - intelligence in time]

--

Mintel Group Limited | 333 West Wacker Drive Suite 1100 | Chicago, Illinois USA 60606

Contact details for our other offices can be found at http://www.mintel.com/office-locations.

This email and any attachments may include content that is confidential, privileged
 or otherwise protected under applicable law. Unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution
 or use of the contents is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error,
 including without appropriate authorization, then please reply to the sender about the error
 and delete this email and any attachments.