[Spacewalk-list] SLES best practices

Klaas Demter demter at atix.de
Wed Jan 13 09:32:48 UTC 2016

Hi,
I have a couple of questions regarding sles handling in spacewalk. What is a better solution and how can I more easily upgrade the machines connected to my spacewalk:
- create one base channel for a major Release (sles12) and child channels for GA/SP1/...
- create one base channel for each release (sles12-ga)

Can I safely have a sles12 sp1 system with the ga channels attached to it (ga-updates/ga-pool) or could this lead to inconsistency in that system? I guess the question is could a ga-update somehow be considered newer than a package in sp1 by zypper or could GA include packages dropped in newer service packs?

Does a simple zypper update suffice to update from one release to the next one once I change the subscribed channels in spacewalk or does zypper migrate do more than alter repositories and update packages?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Klaas Demter