[Spacewalk-list] OSAD not picking up updates

Matt Moldvan matt at moldvan.com
Fri May 13 21:13:57 UTC 2016

I actually spent a lot of time researching the back end of this and when
using a load balancer to distribute OSAD connections it was not elegant for
me to use NFS mounts to keep the jabber db files in sync with 8 proxies in
the mix.  So what I did instead is modify the jabber configs on all my
proxies to use the same external Postgres DB that my spacewalk server
does... that part works well now and I can see what happens internally with
OSAD and the Jabber database, and I've seen less corruption of the jabber
entries like others have.

But, unfortunately it seems that there are other factors at play also and
the OSAD client (or maybe the dated version of jabber this is based on)
will corrupt the entries in whatever database Jabber is assigned to use.
Worst case scenario for us was to restart OSAD, which doesn't appear to
have reestablished the connection either... so I don't know.

After manually doing a "service osad restart" on 360 or so systems today, I
see that my number of systems marked as online in the S/W database haven't
increased (and I have a feeling the 2,685 that are there marked as online
are also actually offline).  My only option for now is to remove
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/osad-auth.conf and restart OSAD on all of those
systems.  It's not impossible for me to do that during our Puppet runs
between 0700 and 0900, but I'm worried about so many systems (~7k) doing
that all at once and crushing the database with creating new jabber IDs for
themselves...

There was a commit in 2.4 that was intended to fix this and allow OSAD
clients to reregister instead of having to create a new Jabber ID in either
the Jabber DB files or whatever back end, however at the moment I'm not
seeing that behavior as working...

Sorry for the long reply, OSAD has been stewing in my mind for a while... :)