[Spacewalk-list] OSAD not picking up updates

Thomas Mueller thomas at chaschperli.ch
Sat May 14 09:21:29 UTC 2016

Am 13.05.2016 um 19:42 schrieb Sorensen, Paul - (p):

> Can you elaborate on this?  I was just about to set up spacewalk proxy
> servers, and I’ve found that deleting that DB directory did help with
> OSAD issues.
>

> What problems were encountered, and what did you have to do to fix this?

* client registers to spacewalk-proxy jabberd
* spacewalk-proxy jabberd forwards "subscription for room xy" (or
something like that) to the spacewalk-server jabberd
* with rm -rf /var/lib/jabberd/db/* you delete this "subscription for
room xy" on the spacewalk-server jabberd
* spacewalk-proxy does not now about the deleted information, does not
resend the information or notify the client
* the client thinks "i'm subscribed to room xy", spacewalk-proxy jabberd
thinks "all ok",
* but spacewalk-server jabberd does not now about the subscription of
the spacewalk-proxy client and can't send messages to the client
attached to the spacewalk-proxy anymore

You would need to restart all spacewalk-proxy client osad services or
the spacwalk-proxy jabberd to force a full reconnect.

If you're using RedHat Satellite (the enterprisy Spacewalk):
unfortunatly they "enhanced" the init script with rm -rf of the jabberd
database... (at least up to Satellite 5.7).

IMHO there were some enhancements for osad jabberd registrations Github
spacewalk PR #287 and another one which I can't find right now (IMHO
they run now something like
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17275_01/html/api_reference/C/db_recover.html
on service startup to clean the database before starting). I think this
will mitigate various troubles seen so far.

None the less I try to avoid wherever possible to use the
spacewalk/satellite remote commands as they have made me cry so many times.

- Thomas