[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk - PostgreSQL High I/O

Allan Moraes allan at allanmoraes.com.br
Tue Oct 11 12:37:48 UTC 2016

Thank you for the tips,

In this case there is available 6GB of memory and the high I/O occur at the
postgres disk. Other disks, the I/O is normal. The system not is using swap
and there is 3GB of swap.

I will separate the postgre and apply your tips.

> We have about 6,000 systems to manage and it was unusable otherwise... I
> had way too much trouble trying to get OSAD to work through proxies and F5
> load balancers, so I had to end up pointing them all to two masters that
> are still using the same Postgres database VM.  I was also toying with
> having the database be the back end for OSAD, so with that in mind the
> number of concurrent clients would often reach higher than usual
> numbers...  I tried a lot of different things to get Spacewalk stable,
> usable, and have proper failover, so I don't know that any of my
> recommendations or environment specific settings might be a silver bullet
> for anyone else, but it can't hurt to try, and learn in the process.
>
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 6:23 PM Paul Robert Marino <prmarino1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> tuning for 5000 clients is nuts that would hurt your performance
>> try running pgtune for about 50 to maybe 500 clients max, but I try
>> the lower setting first.
>> Now lets talk about the high IO that usually happens when you don't
>> have enough working memory in PostgreSQL's configuration. When that
>> happens PostgreSQL creates temp files that are slow and do a lot of
>> write IO during read operations because it will have to swap the data
>> out to the temp files, note setting the number of connections too high
>> would exacerbate that issue f its the root cause.
>> By the way I managed up to 400 with spacewalk and never had to disable
>> the snapshots.
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Matt Moldvan <matt at moldvan.com> wrote:
>> > I had similar issues and ended up first breaking out the database to
>> it's
>> > own VM, then increasing the Postgres debug logs.  I saw that there were
>> > large number of operations running against the snapshot tables, with
>> locks
>> > and so on being set for a long period of time.  In /etc/rhn/rhn.conf,
>> try
>> > disabling snapshots with:
>> >
>> > enable_snapshots = 0
>> >
>> > I also did quite a bit of Postgres tuning using pgtune, for 5,000
>> clients or
>> > so:
>> > pgtune -i data/postgresql.conf  -o ./data/postgresql.conf.new -c 5000
>> >
>> > Another thing that may help is installing pgbadger to analyze your
>> Postgres
>> > logs... it has some nice visualizations of the types of queries and
>> tables
>> > involved, which may point you in the right direction if snapshots
>> aren't the
>> > reason for the high utilization.
>> > https://github.com/dalibo/pgbadger
>> >
>> > Hope that helps.
>> >
>> > On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 4:06 PM Konstantin Raskoshnyi <
>> konrasko at gmail.com>

>> so

>> allan at allanmoraes.com.br>

>> from
>> informations,

Atenciosamente...

*Allan Moraes*
*- Linux Consulting at Venda e Cia <http://vendaecia.com/>*
*- Founder and Editor at MySQL Box <http://www.mysqlbox.com.br/>*
*- Linux System Administrador and DBA MySQL at Umbler
<https://www.umbler.com/>*

*Cel: (51) 81885480*
*E-mail: allan at mysqlbox.com.br <allan at mysqlbox.com.br>*
*Skype: allan at allanmoraes.com.br <allan at allanmoraes.com.br>*