[Spacewalk-list] Need to setup monthly patching - while keeping base release frozen.

William H. ten Bensel WHTENBEN at up.com
Thu Jan 12 21:20:26 UTC 2017

Try and utilize the command lines.

spacewalk-clone-by-date

!!!RESTART TASKOMATIC!!!! before running this:
/usr/bin/spacewalk-manage-channel-lifecycle -c $fromchnl --no-children
--promote

Base -> Always updating from the public repo's
date{x}Base -> Frozen at Date {x}
        *Note, some 3rd party apps require certain kernels etc.  So, if
needed, have a distro associated with this and a kickstart... Just make
sure kickstart doesn't run "yum update -y"
        You can still activate to the dev/test/prod channels via
activation keys.  Just as long as yum update is not ran afterwards, that
would break the apps.
        To handle that you can during build time put in something like
patch=NO...
        Then in the kickstart "cat /proc/cmdline /tmp/cmdline."
        If [[ ! `grep "patch=NO" /tmp/cmdline` ]]; then yum update -y; fi

date{y}Base -> Frozen at Date {y}
dev-Base ->
test-Base ->
prod-Base ->