[Spacewalk-list] conflicting distributions for ubuntu trusty and lingering packages that still show as upgradable in console

Robert Paschedag robert.paschedag at web.de
Fri Jun 9 14:55:32 UTC 2017

Am 9. Juni 2017 15:31:33 MESZ schrieb lravelo at us.hellmann.net:
>Good morning Everyone,
>
>I've been able to push updates to an Ubuntu Trusty box that I've been
>testing Spacewalk with and am running into some issues.  The first
>issue
>I've run into is when running an "apt-get update".  It will give me a
>conflicting distribution warning:
>
>W: Conflicting distribution: spacewalk://spacewalk.domain
>trusty-security
>Release (expected trusty-security but got trusty)
>W: Conflicting distribution: spacewalk://spacewalk.domain
>trusty-updates
>Release (expected trusty-updates but got trusty)
>W: Conflicting distribution: spacewalk://spacewalk.domain
>trusty-backports
>Release (expected trusty-backports but got trusty)
>
>Not too many of threads online that I've been able to get some useful
>information from in order to resolve it and not even sure this is a
>deal
>breaker.  I've run and "apt-get clean" and recreated the
>/var/lib/apt/lists directory but still the issue persists.
>
>My next issue is with package installation.  I've been able to deploy
>the
>packages from the spacewalk console but I'm still left two packages:
>
>adduser-3.113ubuntu2-X.all-deb
>python-debian-0.1.21ubuntu1-X.all-deb
>
>However, the console shows that the following two are the packages
>installed:
>
>adduser-3.113+nmu3ubuntu3-0.all-deb
>python-debian-0.1.21+nmu2ubuntu2-0.all-deb
>
>Seems like the latest versions are installed but I don't understand
>enough
>about the naming convention of debian packages to know the difference
>here.
>
>Related to this is the fact that if I do an apt-get upgrade on the box,
>
>there are some packages that show up that are not listed in the
>spacewalk
>console.  If I try to upgrade them from there, I'll get a 404 Not Found
>
>error.  Let's take one of the packages, for example:
>
>E: Failed to fetch
>spacewalk://spacewalk.domain/XMLRPC/GET-REQ/trusty-updates/getPackage/vim-2:7.4.052-1ubuntu3.1.amd64-deb.deb
>
> 404  Not Found
>
>If I run a "dpkg -s vim" on the client I'll get the following:
>
>Package: vim
>Section: editors
>Installed-Size: 2185
>Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com>
>Architecture: amd64
>Version: 2:7.4.052-1ubuntu3
>
>So it seems like there is a discrepancy between the client and server
>regarding what packages are installed.  Anyone else have any experience
>
>with this?
>
>Regards,
>
>Lazaro Ravelo
>ISS Systems Engineer II
>
>Hellmann Worldwide Logistics Inc.
>10450 Doral Blvd
>Doral, FL  33178
>Phone:  +1 305 406 4500
> [...]

Hi Lazaro,

did you install the necessary spacewalk client packages and registered the client to the server with "rhnreg_ks"?

If you did the, the spacewalk plugin for apt manages the repos your client is subscribed to on the server and an "apt-get update" is all you need. No need to "recreate" the package lists.

What does "rhn-channel" and "rhn_check" tell on the client?

Robert