[Spacewalk-list] OpenSCAP scanning for SLES

William Hongach William.Hongach at marist.edu
Wed Jul 18 19:11:51 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I ran into a snag getting OpenSCAP scanning to work for our SLES 12SP3 clients.  I ran "zypper install spacewalk-oscap" and receive the following error:

"Problem: nothing provides openscap-scanner needed by spacewalk-oscap-2.8.8-4.1.noarch"

Our architecture is s390x so it is using the noarch RPM which seems to be missing this "openscap-scanner" dependency.  I also receive the same error message if I try to install the python2-spacewalk-oscap.

I have the following SUSE packages already installed on the same client, but this does not help:

openscap, openscap-content, openscap-utils, libopenscap8

The SUSE packages above include the "oscap" binary to run scans from the CLI on the client, but the Spacewalk server does not recognize the SLES clients' ability to run scans without the spacewalk-oscap package being installed.  Therefore, the workaround is to install the SUSE openscap packages (including openscap-utils) first, then force the installation of spacewalk-oscap without resolving the dependency.

Going forward, I think the noarch build should look for either openscap-scanner (RHEL specific?) OR openscap-utils (SUSE) dependency during installation and that should avoid user confusion.

With the following workaround, OpenSCAP scanning works successfully for Spacewalk 2.8 and SLES 12 clients:

---
zypper install openscap openscap-content openscap-utils libopenscap8
zypper install spacewalk-oscap

Refreshing service 'spacewalk'.
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: nothing provides openscap-scanner needed by spacewalk-oscap-2.8.8-4.1.noarch
Solution 1: do not install spacewalk-oscap-2.8.8-4.1.noarch
Solution 2: break spacewalk-oscap-2.8.8-4.1.noarch by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c] (c): 2
Resolving dependencies...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following 2 NEW packages are going to be installed:
  python2-spacewalk-oscap spacewalk-oscap
---

Hope this helps others who encounter the same issue with the noarch builds.  Comments/feedback welcome.