[Spacewalk-list] spacecmd softwarechannel_create and whitespace problems in Spacewalk 2.8

Thornsen, Jeff [US] (ES) jeffrey.thornsen at ngc.com
Mon Oct 8 20:16:24 UTC 2018

Hi all,

We currently deploy a number of spacewalk servers and use a bash script to automate the channel creation via commands like:

# spacecmd -- softwarechannel_create -n "Our CentOS6 Base Channel" -l centos-x86_64-server-6 -a x86_64 -c sha256

However, starting with Spacewalk 2.7 (or maybe 2.6), we found that invoking spacecmd this way from bash was giving an error about the channel name being too short, so we backslash-escaped the whitespace in the channel name to fix this, e.g.:

# spacecmd -- softwarechannel_create -n "Our\ CentOS6\ Base\ Channel" -l centos-x86_64-server-6 -a x86_64 -c sha256

But now, after upgrading to Spacewalk 2.8, the backslashes cause spacecmd to give the "invalid channel name" error again, and we had to take the backslashes back out again.

Maybe this is some kind of bash 101 question, but was curious if there was some kind of know error or regression in spacecmd that caused this behavior in the first place?

Thanks,
-Jeff