[Spacewalk-list] Licensing: Feeding software channels to 3rd party companies

Kevin Olbrich ko at sv01.de
Tue Oct 9 16:30:57 UTC 2018

Hi!

I work for an IT company and we have a lot of clients using CentOS, Fedora,
Debian and Ubuntu.
Currently we only manage and feed our own systems but I would like to also
manage repo feeds (channels) for our clients.

For example:
We have many customers with ceph clusters (SDS) based on CentOS 7. They are
unmanaged and use packages from ceph's offical repos.
Every time a node is added, it get's the latest version available. This
year there were two major defects in ceph which lead to data curruption or
outages.
(ref.
http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-announce-ceph.com/2018-July/000126.html
)

With spacewalk I am able to clone the repo and keep the version. Clients
only receive the updates I want them to receive.

While this is the reason spacewalk exists, I wonder what needs to be done
to be correctly licensed.
These customers pay a maintenance fee that is based on server count,
applications, SLA and many more. This includes many more services like
tech/phone support, monitoring and more.

Are we allowed to share access to our spacewalk infrastructure if we only
charge for the full service plan and not for spacewalk alone?

Kind regards
Kevin