[Spacewalk-list] Kickstart from a “promoted” channel

Kalchik, Jeffery JDKalchik at landolakes.com
Wed Sep 5 13:52:01 UTC 2018

Good morning, Emmet.

I’ve been doing something like this for years, or more accurately, something like it, at my now former employer (I’ve been outsourced…..)

I don’t use spacewalk-manage-channel-lifecycle, but I do have a complete set of dev/QA/prod channels built from the direct downloaded channel sets.  All of the server builds are performed through cobbler, hence koan, etc.  I do manage the kickstarts directly and manually as a result.  Every “family” has a master kickstart file that points to the appropriate base channel.

In short, you should be able copy a kickstart file and point it at your base channel, assuming your base channel has boot support.  You should be able to boot & install from any base channel in your server.

Jeff Kalchik
HCL Managed Services
Land O’Lakes Systems Engineering