[Spacewalk-list] Oddball question about Spacewalk possibly corrupting yum update

P.Cookson at bham.ac.uk P.Cookson at bham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 20 14:47:20 UTC 2019

May be I should have said, don’t use a local repo unless you really have to – and it seems like you do. There are clear benefits in having Spacewalk patching though – you get a clearer graphical view of the system’s patch status etc. May be you could push for an exception for web access controlled through something like Squid but, obviously, I don’t know what hurdles you face within your organisation.

As I suggested, running a manual “yum update” or checking out “yum history” may help you identify any problem in that area. Equally, tailing the sync log file, while syncing, or using “reposync” from the command line.

2.9 has been out since January and still the current version so, yes, I would say use that for any new build.

The systems will continue to look to Spacewalk for updates as a yum plugin etc is installed during registration. I’ve developed a procedure to un-register a system or re-register to a different Spacewalk server, for our environments, if you think that would be useful?

Re Scott’s comments, below, I’ve just began using Ansible AWX and starting to realise its benefits☺

Regards
Phil