[Spacewalk-list] rhn_check and yum lock

Robert Paschedag robert.paschedag at web.de
Tue Mar 12 07:10:03 UTC 2019

Am 12. März 2019 03:01:31 MEZ schrieb "Zhou, Rui A. (NSB - CN/Shanghai)" <rui.a.zhou at nokia-sbell.com>:
>Hi:dears
>One problem I encountered was that if the process of rhn_check did not
>start, the client would report the system not checking in with
>Spacewalk. But If I start it(/bin/systemctl restart rhnsd.service), the
>yum execution would be locked.
>I understand that the rhn_check  process starts automatically every
>four hours, but sometime it doesn't seem like that. So who knows about
>the process or what information can be shared? Thank you very much!
>
>[root at FNSHA190 blueadmin]# service rhnsd status
>Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status rhnsd.service
>* rhnsd.service - Spacewalk Server daemon
>Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rhnsd.service; static; vendor
>preset: disabled)
>   Active: active (running) since Tue 2019-03-12 09:38:35 CST; 2s ago
>Main PID: 22200 (rhn_check)
>   CGroup: /system.slice/rhnsd.service
>           `-22200 /usr/bin/python2 /usr/sbin/rhn_check
>
>Mar 12 09:38:35 FNSHA190 systemd[1]: Started Spacewalk Server daemon.
>Mar 12 09:38:37 FNSHA190 rhn_check[22200]: Repository base is listed
>more than once in the configuration
>Mar 12 09:38:37 FNSHA190 rhn_check[22200]: Repository updates is listed
>more than once in the configuration
>Mar 12 09:38:37 FNSHA190 rhn_check[22200]: Repository extras is listed
>more than once in the configuration
>[root at FNSHA190 blueadmin]# yum remove lrzsz
>Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
>Repository base is listed more than once in the configuration
>Repository updates is listed more than once in the configuration
>Repository extras is listed more than once in the configuration
>Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 22200.
>Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to
>exit...
>  The other application is: rhn_check
>    Memory :  31 M RSS (1.4 GB VSZ)
>    Started: Tue Mar 12 09:38:35 2019 - 00:31 ago
>    State  : Sleeping, pid: 22200
>Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to
>exit...
>  The other application is: rhn_check
>    Memory :  31 M RSS (1.4 GB VSZ)
>    Started: Tue Mar 12 09:38:35 2019 - 00:33 ago
>    State  : Sleeping, pid: 22200

I sometimes had such errors. This might happen, if the repo tool (yum, dnf, apt, etc.) might have a problem and trying to ask "interactively" for assistance (or make a choice).

Had this a few times in Debian when some php packages should be updated and debconf (or whatever) tried to ask me, which config file I should use... The new or old (or view diff, etc.).

You can try to find the open fd of the running process with "ls -l /proc/PID/fd/" and see, if you find something like this in some log file.

If not, kill the process and run "rhn_check -vvvvvvv" and see, if it hangs again.

Robert

--
sent from my mobile device