[Spacewalk-list] New to Spacewalk and Linux

Avi Miller avi.miller at oracle.com
Fri Mar 22 21:51:43 UTC 2019

 Hi,

> On 23 Mar 2019, at 2:50 am, Jason Ferris <jasonfe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks so much for the information on Oracle Spacewalk. Since I have installed Spacewalk 2.9 on an Oracle Linux box does this mean that it isn't going to work or is it just if I use 2.7 spacewalk provided by Oracle it will be supported? If I don't use an Oracle DB and instead use a Postgre DB , I see it isn't supported. But does this mean the entire instance isn't supported or the DB just isnt' supported? I'm just getting this setup to see how it works on some test servers. I want to see how it works and if it's something we are going to go forward with. POC (Proof of Concept).

It will work just fine. All the stuff we do with Spacewalk is pushed upstream, so it's included with 2.9 (including ULN support). However, when your POC is complete and if you decide to go forward with Spacewalk as a platform, I strongly recommend using the build provided by Oracle so that it is fully supported as part of your Oracle Linux support subscription.

If you move forward with the Oracle build, a limited-use license for Oracle Database Enterprise Edition is included so that you can run Spacewalk on EE (not XE). If you really don't want to do that, you can run with PostgreSQL but we won't support the DB bits (we'll support the rest of Spacewalk, if it came from Oracle).

Cheers,
Avi

--
Avi Miller | Senior Manager | +61 (03) 8616-3496
Oracle Linux and VM Product Management