[Spacewalk-list] Oracle 12/ 18 Database Support

Richard r1ch11 at yahoo.com
Thu May 2 09:01:24 UTC 2019

   Hi Avi,
On Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 9:46:47 PM GMT+1, Avi Miller <avi.miller at oracle.com> wrote:
> Spacewalk works fine with Oracle Database 11, 12, 18 and 19. Our upcoming release of Spacewalk 2.9 is planned to be rebased (for want of a better word) to the Oracle 18c Instant Client as well.

> In the interim, the 11gR2 Instant Client that is required by the upstream Spacewalk RPMs will connect just fine to newer database versions.

> Let me know if you have any issues.

Just a quick update in case this is of use.  This morning we upgraded our database from 11.2.0.4 to Oracle 18.0.6.  We continue to run Spacewalk 2.8, but will upgrade to Spacewalk 2.9 shortly.

We had ORACLE_HOME defined in a couple of places which needed adjusting to point to the new Oracle release location:

/root/.bash_profile
/etc/sysconfig/osa-dispatcher
/etc/rhn/cluster.ini

After correcting these entries, Spacewalk started successfully.
My DBA tells me we are running in Oracle 11.2.0 compatibility mode (Database Upgrade Guide).  Is there any reason we should not move to Oracle 18.6.0 compatibility ?
Richard.

|  |
Database Upgrade Guide

If new features are incompatible with your earlier release, then Database compatibility can cause issues.