[Spacewalk-list] Mail Notifications

Gerald Vogt vogt at spamcop.net
Thu May 2 14:26:58 UTC 2019

On 02.05.19 16:16, P.Cookson at bham.ac.uk wrote:
> Good afternoon
>
> I have *Spacewalk 2.8* installed on a *RHEL 7.6* system with *Postfix*
> configured to use our *own mail relay*. If I send an email test, from
> the command line, to my personal email box I receive the email
> straightaway. However, I’m not receiving email Notifications, from
> Spacewalk, even though they are checked in the Users’ Preferences screen.
>
> I can see the following type of errors in */var/log/maillog* (hostname
> etc made anonymous):
>
> May  2 14:34:50 <hostname> postfix/smtp[45681]: 422EAE2C60:
> delays=409781/0.03/5/0.02, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (host relay=<relay
> name>[<relay IP>] said: 451 Temporary local problem - please try later

Your relay says that there is a temporary local problem on your relay.
First place to look is into the mail logs on your relay and find out
what problem it is. Until you know the problem it's pretty pointless to
guess what it might be and what might fix the problem.

> Is there some Spacewalk configuration that needs to be done to enable it
> to utilise Postfix perhaps? As an example I’ve seen some references to
> *web.default_mail_from*, in */etc/rhn/rhn.conf*, but I’m not sure what
> it actually needs to be set to.

You should know what your mail relay needs to process the email. So you
should know what you need to set.

So find out what the problem is on your mail relay and then you most
likely know what's wrong or missing. Then you have to either fix your
relay or spacewalk or both, depending on what it is...

Cheers,

Gerald