[Spacewalk-list] Oracle 12/ 18 Database Support

Richard r1ch11 at yahoo.com
Mon May 20 10:36:02 UTC 2019

   On Thursday, May 2, 2019, 8:53:16 PM GMT+1, Avi Miller <avi.miller at oracle.com> wrote:

 Hey Richard,

> On 2 May 2019, at 7:01 pm, Richard <r1ch11 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> My DBA tells me we are running in Oracle 11.2.0 compatibility mode (Database Upgrade Guide).  Is there any reason we should not move to Oracle 18.6.0 compatibility ?

None that I can think of.

Our plan is to complete testing of Spacewalk 2.9 with the latest Oracle Instant Client 18c (which is available from yum.oracle.com with no click-through license any more[1]) and then push the spec file changes to shift to this client upstream. The updated Instant Client will work with all DB versions from 11gR2 all the way up to 19c.

However, I don’t have an ETA on the completion of this testing yet. Our suite has to run across three database versions with the server on two major versions of the distro and two architectures for one of those versions, so it can take weeks to complete. :)

Thanks,
Avi

[1] http://yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL7/oracle/instantclient/x86_64/index.html

---
Hi Avi,

By way of an update in case this is useful for you or anyone else.  We were running Spacewalk 2.8 with Oracle 18.0.0.  We upgraded to Spacewalk 2.9.  The following error was generated when upgrading the database:

# spacewalk-setup --external-oracle --upgrade* Setting up Oracle environment.* Setting up database.** Database: Setting up database connection for Oracle backend.Global Database Name or SID (requires tnsnames.ora)? XXXXX
Username? XXXXX
Password?Could not connect to the database.  Your connection information may be incorrect.  Error: Version [18.0.0] is not supported (does not match 12.2.0, 12.1.0, 11.2.0, 11.1.0, 10.2.0).
As we'd discussed on this thread that Oracle 18 should work, I modified the /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Spacewalk file and adjusted the allowed_db_versions list to make it read:

my @allowed_db_versions = qw/18.0.0 12.2.0 12.1.0 11.2.0 11.1.0 10.2.0/;
This allowed the installer to complete successfully and Spacewalk seems to be performing correctly.
Richard.