[Spacewalk-list] [EXTERNAL EMAIL] Packages listed as available to update, but no update done (Appstream/module issue for redhat8?)

Simon Avery Simon.Avery at oxygenhouse.com
Thu Feb 20 11:10:52 UTC 2020

Hello Kent

We too have encountered several rounds of difficulties with Centos 8 since 8.1 was released, despite not having specifically used modules on any of the target systems.

8.1 Repo worked for a bit when added explicitly (rather than /8/ whose symlinked changed on the master repo), but has since triggered other issues (earlier reported in here)

Our current workaround is to remove Centos 8 clients from Spacewalk repos by assigning them the channel 'None' and for regular patching, I'm using spacecmd to schedule the remote command "yum -y update".

Cons: We don't get to see patches/errata before they're applied. We're using more bandwidth through not using spacewalk's local mirror. (Although it's off peak so impact is low)

Pros: We do get some post-update logs via spacewalk through the event histories per machine, which is useful.

I echo Stefan's suggestion that someone please fix spacewalk to deal with modules properly. (Sadly I don't have these skills myself!)  I'm not ready to leave Spacewalk behind...