[Tendrl-devel] integrating tendrl into other projects

Ken Dreyer kdreyer at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 15:02:54 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
<sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Teuthology integration is not something which has come up in
> recent conversations and thus this is a somewhat new perspective.
> Could we consider a separate thread to continue with this? At this
> stage it would be relevant to understand what the scope and intended
> outcome is.

My intended outcomes:

- The Ceph user community to start experimenting with Tendrl,
- The Ceph developer community to get familiar with Tendrl,
- The Ceph automated test system (Teuthology) to regularly test integration
  between the latest Ceph bits and the current USM codebase.

If Teuthology does not use a standard Python API, then we'll have to
write our own and embed it into Teuthology, and then it becomes a
siloed thing. This has happened earlier with Ceph install workflows
getting deeply embedded into Teuthology, and I want to improve that
this time so that the work is modular and can be shared across other
open-source projects (like TripleO).

My overall goal is for us to integrate more upstream so that we reduce
the herculean effort to integrate everything internally downstream at
the last minute, leading to burnout.

>> Yes that direction is unclear now. What has been committed to firmly is a
>> manual import process for the next OSP release based on the existing RHSC2
>> import feature. We received push back on integrating OSP 10 into development
>> efforts due to the lack of an upstream community (TripleO team primarily).
>> We are taking steps to fix this. The target for integration might be OSP11
>> (not due to USM's lack of willingness to do the work, but rather the
>> upstream efforts required).
>>
>>> Right now Tendrl upstream barely exists, so there is almost nothing to
>>> integrate.
>>

> JeffA has responded to the other parts of the original email. I wanted
> to seek a bit of clarity about the above concern. What was the
> expectation otherwise?

My concern is that I hear rumors of rewrites, rearchitecture, demos,
etc, and there's no discussion in the open. From what I see, these
discussions are being made locally without explanation in a blog or
anywhere else, let alone open discussion on mailing lists, public
(non-RH) IRC, or presenting at the Ceph Developer monthlies, etc.

It's fine if you want to rewrite USM/Skyrings while also rebranding it
to Tendrl, rewrites are great! Here are the things that need to stop
immediately to avoid an integration trainwreck with Ceph and USM 3.0:

- private Google Docs
- private meetings with individual invites
- private demos

We have a public mailing list now, thanks Jeff, and I trust that the
rest is coming.

- Ken