[Thincrust-devel] EBS Support on thincrust EC2 ami's not working..

Jon Steer jsteer at bitscout.com
Mon Dec 8 02:22:52 UTC 2008

I was pretty psyched when I tripped across the thincrust AMI's. I had been
looking for stripped down appliance AMI's.  Unfortunately, I discovered that
neither the F8 or F9 AMI's will attach to a EBS volume.

In the F8 case, the xfs filesystem is missing. In the F9 case, after
attaching to the volume ok,  the first operation on the device (something
like df -h) causes an immediate crash.
You cannot reboot the instance afterwards leaving me to think that the xfs
filesystem doesn't match Amazons.

Unfortunately, given time constraints, I can't learn and build a thincrust
appliance in the schedule time allotted for this task.

One other note, when building a thincrust appliance, it would be useful to
leave at least 100MB on / so that you can at least download one or two apps
to play around with it. I found given the constraints that I had to create a
newer larger AMI to in order to play with it.

thanks,
jon

--
"Don't stand still, if you see me running down the road, 'cause there is
trouble right behind me".