[Thincrust-devel] EBS Support on thincrust EC2 ami's not working..

Jon Steer jsteer at bitscout.com
Tue Dec 9 15:43:50 UTC 2008

the difference I used xfs instead of ext3 following the Amazon directions

http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?categoryID=100&externalID=1663
.
create a 4GB volume in Elastic fox on /dev/sdl
Launch the thincrust f9 ami from elasticfox on a minimal instance
attach the ami to the voume with Elasticfox
- yum check-update
- yum -y update fedora-release
- yum check-update
- mkfs.xfs /dev/sdl
- add sdl to fstab
- mkdir /vol
- mount /vol
- df -h  crashed the AMI

after this, the ami won't reboot either.

I had made an assumption (bad I guess) that Amazon required XFS..

jon

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Bryan Kearney <bkearney at redhat.com> wrote:

> Bryan Kearney wrote:
>
>> See below:
>>
>> Jon Steer wrote:
>>
>>> I was pretty psyched when I tripped across the thincrust AMI's. I had
>>> been looking for stripped down appliance AMI's.  Unfortunately, I discovered
>>> that neither the F8 or F9 AMI's will attach to a EBS volume.
>>>

> Just following up. What steps did you use. I did the followng:
>
> - Created a volume from ElasticFox
> - Launched an Thincrust-F9 instance.
> - Attached it to a running instance on device /dev/sdb
> - did mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb
> - mount -f ext3 /dev/sdb /mnt2
>
> And I could access it. from the images. i could then unmount it and
> re-mount it on another Thincrust-F9 and a Thincrust-F8 machine.
>

> -- bk

"Don't stand still, if you see me running down the road, 'cause there is
trouble right behind me".