[Thincrust-devel] Blog post

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 18:25:02 UTC 2008

Bob McWhirter wrote:
>> Thanks for the blog post [1].  Just to let you know, I think the
>> fedora remix mark may be close to approval. Once that is done, we
>> should re-spin your stuff to make it a remix.
>
> Sounds good.  That's just an extra Fedora mark useful for custom
> Fedora-based spins?
>
>> When you get a chance, can you post your most recent recipe?
>
> Sure thing.  The interesting bits are scattered about, but here's the
> .spec and .ks
>
>     http://github.com/bobmcwhirter/thincrust-ace/tree/master/specs/jboxx5_appliance.spec
>
>     http://github.com/bobmcwhirter/thincrust-ace/tree/master/resources/jboxx5Appliance-f9.ks
>

> And my offensive jbossas.rpm:
>
>     http://github.com/bobmcwhirter/jboss-rpm/tree/master/specs/jbossas.spec
>
> Ultimately, I forsee multiple spins of jboxx appliances (and some
> non-jboxx appliances) when used in production.  A simple spin for
> AS-as-it-ships, but others for running cluster nodes, or web front-ends,
> or DB, etc.
>
> I've obviously just git-forked the 'ace' repository, which seems like
> the suboptimal way to work with it all.  But I wasn't sure how much of
> ACE expected my stuff to be under/relative to ACEHOME.

It expects all of it to be there, but we should be able to have you
deliver just the jboxxappliance as an RPM and get the rest from fedora.
We are working through the packaging of it now.

> ie, appliance-creator seems to insist on being run within resources/ if
> it wants to find the splash xpm, etc.
Perhaps the better answer is to have an rpm deliver the spash screen and
then edit the grub.conf at build time.

> Plus, I've noticed both you and myself have .ks with paths on our
> localhost to repositories.  Does kickstart support macros or variables,
> or is anyone interested in throwing erb or m4 into the mix?
Not too many out of the box. We are looking to integrate with cobbler
for repo management, and that will bring along cheetah as a template
tool. Cobbler may be a bit too heavyweight though. We will need to see.

-- bk