[Thincrust-devel] Need help configuring adk2

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Mon Sep 14 13:37:46 UTC 2009

Cameron:

Thank you for the feedback. I have made the changes below and pushed
them to the repo. Please let me know if this helps or does not do enough
to address your comments.

On 09/11/2009 02:16 PM, Cameron Ross wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been trying out adk2 () and have some feedback for you.  I am
> installing on to a fresh install of FC11 x86_64 with all of the current
> updates applied.  I've been following the instruction outline in the
> adk2 README and have the following questions/comments:
>
> 1) Where do you suggest the ec2 api tools be installed?  Its not clear
> from what I've read of the ec2 documentation.

I have added this.

The RPMs are the preferred installation. If you use the zip file, ensure
that the ec2-ami-tools***/bin/ directory is in your path and that the
EC2_HOME directory is setup as defined in the readme-install.txt file.

I do not believe the exact location matters, as long as you use that
environment variable.

> 2) Maybe move the instruction to execute '. adk.rc' up to just below ec2
> install instructions.  This will define ADK_HOME before it is referred
> to in the instructions.

I added an explicit statement as to where the ADK_Home is.

> 3) Maybe make a few suggestions on what might need to change within the
> yml files.

I added more doco to the example files. Let me know if that makes it
clear what to change.

> 4) When 'adk list appliances' is executed I get the error "ImportError:
> No module named Cheetah.Template".  Executing 'yum install
> python-cheetah' does the trick for me.

I have added this to the README.

> 5) The following warnings and errors are generated when I execute 'adk
> gather jeos':
> /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/Cheetah/CacheRegion.py:30:
> DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
>    import md5
> /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtconv/diskcfg.py:21:
> DeprecationWarning: The popen2 module is deprecated.  Use the subprocess
> module.
>    import popen2

Yeah.. these are from the upstream packages not being friendly with the
latest python.

> f11
> f11/primary_db
> f11-updates
> f11-updates/primary_db
> f11/group_gz
> f11-updates/group_gz
> Pungi:WARNING: Could not find a match for yaboot in any configured repo
> WARNING:Pungi:Could not find a match for yaboot in any configured repo
> Pungi:WARNING: Could not find a match for lokkit in any configured repo
> WARNING:Pungi:Could not find a match for lokkit in any configured repo
> Pungi:WARNING: Could not find a match for ppc64-utils in any configured repo
> WARNING:Pungi:Could not find a match for ppc64-utils in any configured repo
> Pungi:WARNING: Could not find a match for iprutils in any configured repo
> WARNING:Pungi:Could not find a match for iprutils in any configured repo
> Pungi:WARNING: Could not find a match for s390utils in any configured repo
> WARNING:Pungi:Could not find a match for s390utils in any configured repo
> Error: Cannot find a source rpm for epylog-1.0.3-9.fc11

So... I did not add the source repositories.. so it fails. SRPMS tend to
be in a different repo.. so they were not found. I added them to the
example file. It works now.

> I get the same sort of error when I try to gather the live appliance.

I will not be able to change this one, since I do not own the live ks
file. The one issue with this tool is that some kickstart files
(especially livecds) just do not play well in all output formats
(images, ec2, etc). So.. the adk gives you a unified tool set, but the
input may not work for all outputs.

If you have suggestions on how best to address please let me know.

> I think both thincrust and adk2 has the potential to become a great tool
> for implementing appliances.  Keep up the great work!

Thank you. Any suggestions, ideas, patches are welcome!

-- bk