TUX not relaying requests?

Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. diogenes at xenodochy.org
Sat Jul 23 06:32:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:44:03 -0400, William M. Shubert <wms at igoweb.org>
wrote:

> Hello. I am trying to set up tux with tomcat for the dynamic content.
> Everything runs great, except that Tux does not forward the requests! I
> can't figure out why. I tried running a kernel recompiled with debugging
> for tux turned on, but the kernel started taking panics (I saw in these
> archives that this is a known issue). I'm hoping somebody will know off
> the top of their head what is wrong. Here's the details:
>       * FC3, with kernel 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3smp (the latest at the moment)
>         and the tux module that comes with it. When started it
>         identifies itself as "Tux version: 3/0/0", the RPM file for the
>         user space tools is tux-3.2.18-2.
>       * Tux is listening on port 80. "cat /proc/sys/net/tux/clientport"
>         returns 8080 (which is the port where tomcat is running).
>       * "wget http://localhost/gls/glsApplet.jar" is static content, and
>         works perfectly. Tux writes the request result properly into the
>         log, so I'm sure that Tux is handling this one.
>       * "wget http://localhost:8080/gls/userInfo.jsp" is dynamic
>         content, and works perfectly, so I know that Tomcat is properly
>         listening on port 8080 and answering requests.
>       * "wget http://localhost/gls/userInfo.jsp", however, is the
>         problem. It is my understanding that since this file does not
>         exist, tux should relay the request to tomcat. Instead, I get
>         back "404: Not found". The Tomcat logs indicate that it did not
>         see any request come in at all.
> I've poked everywhere I could. I added "jsp" as a content type with
> "TUX/redirect" to tux.mime.types, it didn't help. I created files named
> "userInfo.jsp" in /var/www/html/ tree. This returns the dummy file if
> "jsp" is *NOT* in tux.mime.types, but returns 404 if "jsp" *IS* set up
> as redirect in tux.mime.types. I tried binding tomcat's listen port to
> IP address 127.0.0.1 and leaving it wildcarded; this doesn't change
> anything. I tried replacing tomcat with apache; again no change. It just
> really, really, looks like tux isn't even trying to forward the requests
> to the dynamic content web server.
>
> Is there some setting I'm missing that can cause this? Some test I can
> run that might give more information? Any help is appreciated!

I'm on Redhat 9 running tux and apache together.
Here's what I needed to do to the httpd.config file.

Modify file /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

# Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to
# prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses (0.0.0.0)
#
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
Listen 127.0.0.1:8080

This tells apache to listen on port 8080.
Maybe you have something like this for tomcat.

Also, tux.mime.types must be told what to redirect

File /etc/tux.mime.types

# - all extensions listed after TUX/redirect will be redirected
#   to the secondary server.
# - all extensions listed after TUX/CGI will be handled by the
#   TUX CGI engine directly.
# - all extensions listed after TUX/module will be handled by
#   TUX userspace modules.
#
# MIME type                     Extension

TUX/redirect                    shtml html htm php

With this setup, Tux serves static context, but passes specific types to
Apache on my system.

I hope this is helpful.

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above
page first!)
Plain text markup: *bold*, /italic/, _underline_, LOUD
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.
My favorite saying (from general semantics):
It's not that seeing is believing, believing is seeing,
and we're much better at believing than we are at seeing.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ex/quotes/santayana.html