[vfio-users] OVMF + OS X El Capitan + 970 gtx passthrough = Success

Okky Hendriansyah okky at nostratech.com
Tue Dec 8 05:44:19 UTC 2015

On December 7, 2015 at 15:02:36, Andrew Morgan (andrew.morgan4453 at gmail.com) wrote:
Thanks for the reply Okky, apparently I marked it as read without
actually thinking about it and then proceeded to wait for your response
for a few weeks until I realized I had already received it. Whoops :P
Haha, I thought you already got bored trying to virtualize a Mac on KVM. :D

Either way, after following your suggestions, I have managed to get VFIO
working successfully with OSX! The steps necessary for me since my last
email were:

* Download and install Nvidia web drivers for OSX
(https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/73628/en-us). I did
this while it was running without a GPU attached.
* Reboot VM this time with GPU attached in Qemu command script
* Insert "nvda_drv=1" at the end of the Boot Options line in Clover's
"Options".

I also set up Synergy for use with the VM, since mouse control through
Qemu's VNC(?) is a bit sluggish.
Yep, mine also quite sluggish but I had it worse when I was trying on Yosemite install. El Capitan mouse movement is quite OK, but setting up Synergy (since I still fail to passthrough my Renesas USB 3.0 card) is a must for me.

My Synergy script if anyone needs it:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/2884c7c5612fdc77d171

My qemu startup if anyone needs it:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/52c6cbc7bc292c755e0c
Thanks for sharing back you config!

Finally, while adding nvda_drv=1 in boot options works, I seem to have
to do this each time the VM boots. Is there a way to change Clover's
boot options permanently?
I made it permanent using Clover Configurator. I forgot exactly where to config but it’s in one of those settings in Clover Configurator. Make sure you persist it back to the Clover disk. Also how did your NVIDIA Preferences looked like? Does it still says using default driver or NVIDIA ones?

Also, sound does not currently work,
I setup NoMachine [1] on both the Mac guest and the Linux host, and used NoMachine Audio adapter as my workaround. :D Sound output is quite nice actually, but sound input is still has a very noticable input lag.

however as I'm only using this VM
for iOS development, it's not too big of a deal.
How do you plan to plug your iDevice to the Mac guest? I was thinking the same, since sometimes the storyboard got really big and too cramped to use my MacBook Pro. Yes, I can plug a monitor to it, but if I can compile it also using my rig is a good alternative!

[1] https://www.nomachine.com

--
Okky Hendriansyah