[vfio-users] OVMF + OS X El Capitan + 970 gtx passthrough = Success

Andrew Morgan andrew.morgan4453 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 00:58:16 UTC 2015

Hey Okky, thanks for the consistently fast responses!

Took your advice and downloaded Clover Configurator as well on OSX, neat
program! Took me a second to figure out which EFI partition to mount,
but once I did I imported the config, check the "nvda_drv = 1" box and
saved it again, very easy!

Afterwards, I decided to take a chance to update to OSX 10.11.2. Had to
disable the nvda_drv=1 setting I just set to get through the
installation after the reboot, but after that it went alright.

I did notice after upgrading that Nvidia Web drivers were no longer
compatible with my OS, though I suppose this makes sense since the
update did just roll out, thus I suspect Nvidia will update it soon
enough. This does however mean my GPU no longer works when I pass it
through again... so that's a bit of a bummer. I'll make sure to hold out
until nvidia does this for future OSX updates.

As for Xcode development, I've just been using the simulator for the
past few months, and it's been quite good at catching most of the bugs!
Of course, one doesn't quite get the same feel for the UX using a mouse,
but apps like fabric.io and Apple's now own TestFlight can provide ipa
installs OTA.

I'll have to try that NoMachine audio out at some point. For now it's
not really a big deal, but I can see it being necessary when developing
an app that outputs a noise of some kind :P

Thanks,
Andrew Morgan