[vfio-users] Issue with EDK2 upgrading Windows 10 to build 10586 ?

Erik Adler erik.adler at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 00:14:43 UTC 2015

Wondering if there is a known problem upgrading Windows 10 pro to
version 1511, 10586. After the upgrade at the reboot I am getting a
BSOD that says:

“SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED”

No information about what caused it is presented. Windows then boots
and gives a message

Upgrade failed reverting to previous version.

“system thread exception not handled
OxC1900101-0x20017
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation
“
There is no useful information in the Windows dumps.

Thinking the problem could be EDK2 I pulled the git code today and
compiled OVMF. That did not help. I then pulled and compiled today’s
qemu code. Did not help. Windows 10 has been working great for the
last few months. I can still use Windows 10 Pro, just that I can not
upgrade to the newest build. Windows is activated.

My setup.

Kernel 4.1.6 (no patching, same kernel I have been using for weeks)
qemu git code from Dec 11
EDK2 git code from Dec 11
libvirt 1.2.21-2
virt-manager 1.2.1-4
GNU/Linux Debian
Nvida 359.06 drivers

Xeon E5 CPU
GTX970

Anybody else having issues with upgrading their Windows 10 to version
1511, 10586 ?