[vfio-users] Got BSOD when using kvm=off

Eddie Yen missile0407 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 05:14:32 UTC 2015

Update:

These days, I'm testing VFIO on ASUS ESC400 G2 Server.

Spec:
Intel Xeon E5-2620 V2 (2 sockets)
DDR3-1600 ECC RAM 8Gx1
GPU(Guest): NVIDIA GeForce GTX480 & AMD FirePro 3D V4800
Host OS: Ubuntu 14.04 Server (Kernel 4.2.6 Stable with OVMF patch)
Guest OS: Windows 7 & Windows 10 (10240) (with OVMF)
QEMU ver: git (2.4.93)
libvirt ver: 1.2.21

First on GTX480, whole installation is fine, but I still got BSOD after
NVIDIA driver installed and addded kvm=off. Not only Windows 7 got, but
also Windows 10.
Then I passthrough V4800 into Windows 10, and now everything works fine
with AMD official driver.

So my guess is, maybe NVIDIA driver added new tricks in driver, like CPU
type check, etc.
Is that possible?