[vfio-users] QEMU / KVM VFIO ("no signal" message)

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 19:48:45 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Leonardo Caldas <leonardo.caldas at xleox.org>
wrote:

>> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Leonardo Caldas <
>> leonardo.caldas at xleox.org> wrote:

>>> :

>>> ./rom-parser GTX680.rom
>>> Valid ROM signature found @0h, PCIR offset 190h
>>>         PCIR: type 0 (x86 PC-AT), vendor: 10de, device: 1180, class:
>>> 030000
>>>         PCIR: revision 0, vendor revision: 1
>>>         Last image
>>>
>>> In fact I never made this test.. And as the page states, it was supposed
>>> to output twoo headers... I've got only one.
>>> It means that my GPU has no UEFI support', isn't it?
>>>
>>> Could you please suggest me which method I may use, considering this
>>> lack of support?
>>>

>> Contact the GPU vendor for an update supporting UEFI or look through the
>> ROM database on techpowerup and see if you can find one.  It's worth
>> spending the time to make the card work with UEFI vs dealing with all the
>> problems of VGA arbitration.
>>

> Thank you very much for your reply.
>
> If I understood it correctly, there's only a Windows version of the file,
> so that it's not possible to flash it using only Linux tools?

If you can extract the ROM from the exe (wine?), you don't even need to
flash it, you can simply use the option romfile= for the QEMU vfio-pci
device.  It looks like you can already find these ROMs on techpowerup
though:

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=Gigabyte&model=GTX+680&interface=PCI-E&memType=&memSize=2048

Unfortunately, none of the ones that gigabyte claims are UEFI include the
UEFI image in the ROM.

Not that you really have the option, but I would not upgrade firmware for a
device in a VM, it's too risky.  You can look for ROMs from other vendors
for UEFI support, at your own risk of course.