[vfio-users] QEMU / KVM VFIO ("no signal" message)

Leonardo Caldas leonardo.caldas at xleox.org
Tue Nov 3 21:33:13 UTC 2015

> Thank you very much for your reply.
>>
>> If I understood it correctly, there's only a Windows version of the file,
>> so that it's not possible to flash it using only Linux tools?
>>

> If you can extract the ROM from the exe (wine?), you don't even need to
> flash it, you can simply use the option romfile= for the QEMU vfio-pci
> device.  It looks like you can already find these ROMs on techpowerup
> though:
>

> http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=Gigabyte&model=GTX+680&interface=PCI-E&memType=&memSize=2048
>
> Unfortunately, none of the ones that gigabyte claims are UEFI include the
> UEFI image in the ROM.
>
> Not that you really have the option, but I would not upgrade firmware for
> a device in a VM, it's too risky.  You can look for ROMs from other vendors
> for UEFI support, at your own risk of course.

Thank you again for your help.

As I see, none of the roms in the list you sent has UEFI support. I tried
the first one, without success.
I got the files from the Gigabyte repositories, but I have no idea on how
to extract the rom file I need.

I'll try to get an extra harddisk and make a basic Windows instalation, so
that I can flash the GPU using it.
This is probably the way to go. Is this VGA arbitration method you told
about too hard to accomplish?

--
Atenciosamente,

Leonardo Caldas