[vfio-users] Code 43 for GTX 660

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 20:20:33 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Philip Abernethy <chais.z3r0 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ok. So I built the latest QEMU from git to get support for hv_vendor_id. I
> added a qemu argument passthrough tag as suggested by Alex in another
> thread and got rid of the <kvm> tag, since it's superseded by said
> passthrough.

I actually prefer the wrapper better because <qemu:arg> is almost always
the wrong thing to do.  But whatever, for this test it doesn't make a
difference.

> Here's the updated xml: http://sprunge.us/iihe
> Should I set a special HyperV vendor? As I understand it the Nvidia driver
> sees it as a red flag, so I'd want that to be blank.
> Currently I still get a code 43.

The only guess I have left is that maybe this card is not being properly
protected from host drivers before attempting to assign it.  Is the Intel
graphics configured as the primary host graphics (for OS and BIOS)?  Are
you using pci-stub to prevent host drivers from attaching to the 660 or at
least blacklisting nouvea/nvidia or binding it directly to vfio-pci?  If
not, see
http://vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-3-host.html