[vfio-users] OVMF + OS X El Capitan + 970 gtx passthrough = Success

Okky Hendriansyah okky at nostratech.com
Tue Nov 10 04:28:50 UTC 2015

On November 7, 2015 at 10:02:38, Andrew Morgan (andrew.morgan4453 at gmail.com) wrote:
Hey Okky,

This is what I see when I boot the VM using this script
(http://ix.io/lYq) provided from the forum thread mentioned earlier
(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309087-insanely-fast-virtual-mac-qemu-ovmf-clover-and-native-graphics/):

http://i.imgur.com/OuOwNbQ.png

I don't see any way to boot the El Capitan iso from here. I also agree
that the resolution is too small to view all of the boot options.

Andrew Morgan

Hi Andrew,

I would put the ignore_msrs kernel module parameter in the /etc/modprobe.d/ so I it will automatically loaded on each boot.

I think you have to put the -device and -drive of the installer ISO together and use the same drive id. Something like this:
-device driver=ide-cd,bus=ide.0,drive=cd0
-drive id=cd0,if=none,format=raw,readonly,file=/path/to/elcapitan.iso

I have managed to passthrough my GPU (though still using default OS X NVIDIA driver, somehow it kept reverting back to it even though I have tried to switch to NVIDIA Web Driver). Host audio passthrough (-device AC97) still fails, USB 3.0 Renesas card also only work on Clover only. The mouse and keyboard (and also my gamepad) are actually listed on System Report, but somehow it doesn’t work. My current workaround is to autologin and use Synergy.

Here’s my latest QEMU script:
http://pastebin.com/DgWCzp5L

Best regards,
--