[vfio-users] OVMF + OS X El Capitan + 970 gtx passthrough = Success

Andrew Morgan andrew.morgan4453 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 11:57:07 UTC 2015

Hey Okky,

Through your example and Gabriel's notes here (
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~somlo/OSXKVM/), I've managed to get
the VM booting. App Store and app updates are working. Networking was a
hassle, but seemingly appending the networking bits from the top of the
qemu launch script from above seems to work flawlessly.

I was unsuccessful (I believe) at passing through the GPU however. When
booting, I do get output from my GeForce GTX 970, however all I see are
a line of +'s across the top of the screen.

I can still manipulate Clover through the Qemu window, though Clover
doesn't actually seem to show on the GPU. Debug info from qemu is
outputted in the terminal it is run from. I believe this is actually
logs from the VM itself however. Here
(https://gist.github.com/anoadragon453/68da824929e05c9b038d) is the log
output. It always seems to be getting stuck at:

> Waiting for remote debugger connection.

with no progress even after nearly 10 minutes of waiting.

I am not able to reach OSX with the vfio qemu options enabled, yet it
does boot flawlessly without them. However the performance is thus sub-par.

Here is my qemu start-up script:
https://gist.github.com/anoadragon453/fa687e88c887044f5dd9

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,