[vfio-users] Everything in initramfs and a few questions.

Erik Adler erik.adler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 22:50:19 UTC 2015

By default Debian does not include tools like dracut and mkinitcpio. Was
wondering if there is anything inherently wrong with keeping everything in
initramfs. This seems to work.

/etc/initramfs-tools/moduels
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

Into

/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-premount

#!/bin/sh

DEVS="0000:03:00.0 0000:03:00.1 0000:81:00.0"
for DEV in $DEVS; do
    echo "vfio-pci" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/$DEV/driver_override
done
modprobe -i vfio-pci

Then

update-initramfs -v -u -k `uname -r`

Not using any blacklisting or modprobe.d stuff. Just the above.

Hopefully the modules are loaded first, then the script is run then root if
mounted. A quick peek into initram file system and it looks like everything
is there? Can take a peek with..

gunzip -c -9 /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r` | cpio -i -d -H newc
–no-absolute-filenames

A few questions.
1) I am not 100% sure what is meant by “binding devices statically to
vfio-pci” Would the above qualify as such?

2) I would like to use Alex's script vfio-pci-override-vga.sh but both GPUs
are are showing up as “boot_vga” I am using the AST2400 chipset
(motherboard) for my host graphics and a GTX970 as the GPU being passed. Is
this a hardware short coming?

All the best
Erik Adler