[vfio-users] OVMF + OS X El Capitan + 970 gtx passthrough = Success

Okky Hendriansyah okky at nostratech.com
Mon Nov 23 00:46:35 UTC 2015

On November 22, 2015 at 18:57:10, Andrew Morgan (andrew.morgan4453 at gmail.com) wrote:
Hey Okky,
Hi Andrew,

Through your example and Gabriel's notes here (
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~somlo/OSXKVM/), I've managed to get
the VM booting. App Store and app updates are working. Networking was a
hassle, but seemingly appending the networking bits from the top of the
qemu launch script from above seems to work flawlessly.
Can you try my networking config? As long as you have the bridge networking (by default br0) configured, I think you can use my script it is using the Tap networking [1]. The qemu-mac-hasher script is the script to autogenerate my guest MAC address based on its name, which I borrowed from [2]

I was unsuccessful (I believe) at passing through the GPU however. When
booting, I do get output from my GeForce GTX 970, however all I see are
a line of +'s across the top of the screen.

I can still manipulate Clover through the Qemu window, though Clover
doesn't actually seem to show on the GPU. Debug info from qemu is
outputted in the terminal it is run from. I believe this is actually
logs from the VM itself however. Here
(https://gist.github.com/anoadragon453/68da824929e05c9b038d) is the log
output. It always seems to be getting stuck at:
If you would like to disable the behavior to output the serial output to the Terminal, you can disable it by using “-serial none” instead of “-serial stdio”

> Waiting for remote debugger connection.

with no progress even after nearly 10 minutes of waiting.

I am not able to reach OSX with the vfio qemu options enabled, yet it
does boot flawlessly without them. However the performance is thus sub-par.

Here is my qemu start-up script:
https://gist.github.com/anoadragon453/fa687e88c887044f5dd9
You’re using OVMF with Clover, but I see there was a "x-vga=on" option in your GPU passthrough line which depicts that the passthrough is on VGA (legacy) mode. You don’t need that option in OVMF (legacy-free mode), so I’d suggest you to remove the "x-vga=on" option. In addition, I see your Mac OS X boot arguments missing the option to enable the NVIDIA driver. Add the option "nvda_drv=1”.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew Morgan
Please let me know your results.