[vfio-users] Cannot fix Error 43 for GTX 680 passed through to win 10 guest

Okky Hendriansyah okky at nostratech.com
Tue Oct 6 01:13:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

Since you’re using Arch Linux and want to use traditional QEMU command line just like me, I hope my configuration will benefit you. If your GPU supports EFI, I’d use the OVMF approach if I were you. Currently using an unmodded NVIDIA card with latest drivers with “no” issues (thanks to workarounds). I use an Intel Core i7-4770 with Intel HD Graphics for the host and GTX 980 for the guest. Tried also Radeon R9 270X, GTX 770, and GTX 780 before this GPU.

Here’s my latest QEMU config for Windows 10 (after applying the Hyper-V Vendor ID patch from Alex):
http://pastebin.com/3QyD0tNh

I also use linux-vfio-lts 4.1.9, here’s my complete kernel command line parameter, not all parameters are relevant though:
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux-vfio-lts root=UUID=a8483cc4-97ff-42d7-a9c0-fa3d3ddc2024 rw libahci.ignore_sss=1 quiet loglevel=3 vga=current udev.log-priority=3 intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream rd.modules-load=vfio-pci

Here’s my modprobe.d config:
blacklist nouveau
blacklist nvidia
options kvm ignore_msrs=1
options kvm_intel nested=1
options vfio-pci ids=10de:13c0,10de:0fbb,1912:0014
options vfio disable_vga=1

I never installed Windows 10 from scratch, my setup was a clean install of Windows 8.1 and upgrade it to Windows 10. I had BSODs on the upgrade process but I successfully eliminated that by changing the CPU temporarly from -cpu host to -cpu core2duo to finish the upgrade and revert it back to -cpu host just after the upgrade finished. [1]

I hope it will help you somehow.

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2289210

--
Okky Hendriansyah