[vfio-users] Cannot fix Error 43 for GTX 680 passed through to win 10 guest

root at yoshi.dynu.com root at yoshi.dynu.com
Wed Oct 7 12:29:38 UTC 2015

Hey. Another sleepless night and i am no step further to a solution.

I had a chat with a guy in the #kvm irc channel who told me that the
reason there is no output und the gridified 680 when passing through
alone is that it is detected as grid/quadro and better be passed through
as a secondary gpu next to a cirrus e.g.

dmesg output of the host:

http://pastebin.com/ZGvBhXnp

as far as i can read it, everything is working correctly, nouveau just
claiming 06:00.0 aka the GT 210

GT 9600, GTX 680, sound card are claimed by stub

my /etc/modprobe.d configs:

http://pastebin.com/8082icLt

how i run the windowsvm right now:

http://pastebin.com/kaaqe2Ke

as you can see i am using ovmf. problem with the 440fx machine is that
the vm is not rebooting correctly and stuck at 'restarting.....'. need
to be hardresetted.

when using q35 machine reboot works great, initial setup is much faster
but the passed through card does not seem to be attached correctly.

i always disliked the coil whine of the gtx 680 when the card starts or
runs a game/benchmark at very high fps, but now i like it since this way
i can detect if the card starts with the VM. With 440 machine the card
whines a bit at start, when using q35 i cannot hear anything.

i tried seabios as well as ovmf, q35/440fx machine, absolutely minimal
configuration... Nothing solves my problem. Every time it results in a
Code 43 Error

i run a second VM with the GT 9600 just fine and without
problems/hiccups. It's an OS X 10.10.5 with the following config:

http://pastebin.com/S6CVs7hf

( there shouldn't be a discussion about if it is legal or not to run OS
X on non-Apple Hardware. Here it's not illegal since in my country the
Apple EULA is not valid since it is not shown to you when you bought the
product (10.6 DVD) )

I will have a look at the GTX 680 in OS X next and see if it works
there. GT 9600 works fine for OS X as well as for the windows machine.
Also i will setup a win7 vm to see if there is any difference.

For the grid k2 bios that overflow suggested: can you upload it
somewhere please? cannot find one anywhere. Just found a mysterios
update tool from ibm for the k2. My idea would be to use this to flash
the k2 bios on my gtx 680, extract it, reflash the gtx680bios on it
again. But i am a bit afraid of doing this since i don't know what the
tool does exactly and don't want to ruin my card with an incorrect bios
after not bricking it when removing the resistors :P

I really would like to understand why it did work a few times with the
gtx 680 and then never did again.